Friday, November 28, 2008

National Listening Day Not Needed Here

My Facebook/Genea-blogger friend Miles Meyer posted a reminder on Facebook this week that today was National Listening Day. Here's an explanation from the internet: "StoryCorps....... suggest that in addition to doing your civic duty at the mall, you record someone you know talking about their lives on November 28 -- the first annual National Listening Day".(http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/11/listen-up-natio.html)

At age 87, my dad, Ernest Margheim, is the oldest living member in my family. He was available today if I had needed to listen to him tell me the stories from his past. But I didn't need to. I'm very blessed because over the past few years Dad has written hundreds of pages filled with his first-hand account of his life. As he's corresponded with friends by email, he's copied those emails to me, and I've printed them and filled three large 3-ring binders with them. What treasures those binders hold!

And the blessings continue! Dad has recently set up his own blog "Ernie's Journeys". He'll soon be relating many of his life's stories again to all his readers. I find it awesome that he embraces new technology and utilizes his time in retirement to save those precious facts, details and stories for us and all future descendants. And he's having fun doing it!

I'll encourage him to join the Genea-bloggers Group on Facebook. You won't be disappointed if you become a "Follower".

6 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I look forward to reading Enrie's Journeys. I wish I could get my mother to write down more of her memories.

Randy Seaver said...

How lucky are you? How good is your dad? The answer to both is "very!" You have a living family treasure willing to share his life experiences.

I really look forward to Ernie's Journeys.

I just wish that my daughters were even aware of my writings on my blogs. But then, maybe I'd have to not brag asm uch as I do about them and their little ones.

All the best -- Randy

Lisa Jamison said...

I got my front row seat! Can't wait to read Ernie's blog!

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

I wish I had taken the time to bug my Mom into talking about her youth. She rarely would share anything..
How wonderful that you still have your father and that he is embracing technology and writing about his life. I too, cannot wait to read "Ernie's Journey." We will all learn from it! Thanks for sharing...

Judith Richards Shubert said...

How lucky you are to have such an involved, interesting Dad who is sharing with so many. Look forward with anticipation having him on Facebook GeneaBloggers!
Judy

wendy said...

Becky - Just clicked over to your Dad's blog & will put it on my blogroll! I really enjoyed reading it! I'll also make sure to put your blog on my blogroll - not sure why I don't have it!
Wendy Littrell
http://allmybranches.wordpress.com