Saturday, November 28, 2015

Kimball? Does his name have Kimball in it?

My second cousin, Kate Keller, created a group on Facebook for descendants of Antoine LaRoux, b. 1613 in Germany, and died 1689 in New York. This week she posted the information shown in the photo above. The information she provided grabbed at my heart, because the woman shown, Elva Alice (Dixon) Roberts, died at age 33 from a hypoglycemic coma due to paranoid schizophrenia. That's nothing to snicker at. I can't imagine the grief that couple experienced in their short life together. 

Spencer W. Kimball
I noticed that the man in uniform was named Miles Kimball Roberts and he was the son of Miles Hartley Roberts and Iris Kimball. Miles and Elva were married in the Idaho Falls Temple. Any member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will recognize the connection of the "temple", "Salt Lake City" and the name "Kimball". Spencer W. Kimball was the 12th President of the Church from 1973 until his death in 1985.  

I asked Kate where the name LaRue tied in to the Kimball-Roberts family that she exposed me to in the LaRue Family History group on Facebook. After Kate lined out the connection, I was able to determine how they also connected to President Spencer W. Kimball. I often create charts that help me follow lineage and I prepared this chart to share with Kate last night.
I'm shown in the bottom right corner, M Rebecca Margheim. My 9th cousin in the LaRue family is Elva Alice Dixon. Her husband is shown in the middle at the bottom. His parents go off to the left, Iris Kimball and Miles Roberts. And the chart shows that Iris Kimball was the 1st cousin of Spencer W Kimball. So my 9th cousin was married to the 1st cousin once removed of Pres. Spencer W. Kimball. 

With a little help from Cousin Kate, some digging on familysearch.org and a half-hour of free time, I was able to establish this visual aid to illustrate my family's connection to one of my Church's notables. That was a fun activity for the snowy, cold Friday night after Thanksgiving.

No comments: