Saturday, April 1, 2017

An accidental identification of an heirloom

My cousin's husband recently passed away. As I was looking through photos of his family this morning, something caught my attention in this photo.
Mike, Michele and Jason Kurvink
Mike and Michele were seated at the dining table in the home of my paternal grandparents, John and Mollie Margheim in Hoisington, Kansas. In the background is one of my grandmother's china cabinets. I noticed the plate in the top shelf of the cabinet and recognized it as one I have in my china cabinet today. 
A long-time mystery has finally been solved. I thought my dad had told me this plate had belonged to my maternal grandmother, Nannie (Becker) Flanders. Many years ago I showed it to my mother Ruby (Flanders) Craine who said she didn't recognize it. I was disappointed that it hadn't been an heirloom of my Flanders grandparents. 

I'm happy today to realize this plate belonged to my dear Grandma Mollie Margheim, the best grandma any child could have. So while today I acknowledge the sorrow I feel for my cousin Michele at the passing of her dear husband Michael, I recognize a spark of joy at identifying a precious heirloom from my grandparents. At this point in my life, that's a precious thing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad a mystery was solved while also sharing the treasure of this photo taken back in 1974. I will be forever grateful for yet another reminder of my wonderful husband, and the love we shared.

Genealogist Nancy said...

Isnt that wonderful to have those memories pop up with a glance at something in a forgotten china cabinet. I am glad you were able to have such a wonderful grandmother and god bless the family that losed their husband.