Sunday, December 3, 2017

Are our Ancestors thinking about us too?

Handout Booklet CoverIt was exactly one month ago that I wrote a post on my blog about a presentation I gave to a group of women at the church when I’m employed. We talked about the importance of writing down the memories we have of our parents and grandparents so our descendants will know more about their lives after we’re gone. I gave each attendee a blank journal to use in writing their stories and memories. We’ll gather in October 2018 to share our stories with each other.

I’ve heard in recent weeks that many of the women are indeed writing their memories! And yesterday I received this email from one of those women.

You gave us "homework" in genealogy. Ok.  I started a little. Today I got a phone call from a man doing research in genealogy. He would be my cousin J------'s son. Haven't heard from that side of the family in 35 or 40 years. We spent some time -- and will spend more -- comparing notes! His grandfather was step-brother to my mother; his great-grandfather was my grandfather.  LOLOL! Yes, I'll include this in the book . . . .”

While this woman was certainly surprised to hear from a member of her family “out of the blue”, I wasn’t particularly surprised. I know this kind of thing happens frequently when we’re thinking and talking of our ancestors. It’s almost like they know that we have them on our minds and they want us to know we’re on their minds too. I’ve experienced times when I felt like my ancestors were right beside me after I’ve invested many hours studying their lives and their history. They’ve seemed to speak to me and observe my comings and goings at times.

I’m so happy for this woman that she’ll finally learn more of this side of her family and can share with her newfound cousin! And she’ll share this experience with us through the writings in her Journal!

No comments: