Friday, July 29, 2011

I Found Malone Smith at 'Magnolias and Peaches'

I was surprised but happy to stumble upon this little web site last night as I was searching for information about Rev. Tisdel Spencer Logan (1814-1901), "Baptist Preacher" in Alabama. His daughter Amanda was the second wife of Malone Smith (1844-1909). Malone's first wife was Harriett Catherine Mullins, with whom he had son Marion "Malone" Smith (1865-1952), husband of Mary Francis Hawkins (1866-1951). 
L to R: Harriett Mullins Smith Thackerson, her son Marion "Malone" and Mary F. Hawkins Smith
 At 'Magnolias and Peaches' I discovered that Malone Smith, b. 1844 was buried in the Deerman Chapel Cemetery in St. Clair County, Alabama.
Malone Smith, March 12, 1842-Jan. 8, 1909
Marion Malone and Harriett Catherine Mullins Smith were the parents of James Robert Smith, who later changed his name to Henry James Jones. I wrote about that story here. Henry James Jones (1890-1976) and his wife Helen Wilma Marker (1904-1949) were the parents of my step-mother Phyllis Jean Jones (1924-1997).
Malone and Mary Smith

I'm particularly happy to have found this burial information with the dates indicated on the headstone because I knew nothing of these people when my step-mother was living. I'll never get to Alabama to see the grave, but I feel a bit closer to her ancestors just seeing her great-grandfather's headstone.

No comments: