Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Cousins, the Ingalls

While doing some research for another post, I came upon this information about John James Ingalls: 

John James Ingalls

John James Ingalls

Politician, attorney. Born: 29 December 1833, Middleton, Massachusetts.  Married: Anna Louisa Cheeseborough, 1865.  Died: 16 August 1900, New Mexico.

"Kansas," said John J. Ingalls, "is the core and kernel of the country, containing the germs of its growth and the quickening ideas essential to its perpetuity." An orator, scholar, lawyer, and statesman, known for his keen sarcasm and quick wit, Ingalls was, at age 26, a primary force behind the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention that brought about Kansas statehood. Ingalls, who represented Kansas as a U.S. Senator from 1873 - 1891, coined the phrase Ad astra per aspera (to the stars through difficulties) that became the Kansas state motto.
Kansas State Seal with Motto "Ad Astra Per Aspera" ("To the stars through difficulties").

Since I was born and lived the first 40 years of my life in Kansas, this is significant to me. I prepared this chart to show my relationship with John Ingalls and his/my cousin Laura (Ingalls) Wilder.



4 comments:

Gale Wall said...

Never thought of how Peter Ingalls is Laura's cousin, but for a brief time Laura and family along with cousin Peter moved down to Holmes County, Florida. Laura's family moved back North but Peter stayed and married a local girl. He is buried near my great grandfather. I mentioned it in a post in 2009. Small world. Here I am, a southern girl, living in Kansas. Those old paths are worn pretty good, huh?
http://digitalcemeterywalk.blogspot.com/2009/02/george-washington-stafford.html

Michelle Goodrum said...

What a fantastic connection to have! Truly a piece of American History.

Unknown said...

You're awesome Becky. I wish we had more time to chat when we were visiting! My girls think it is so very cool that you are related to the Ingalls. We enjoy a visit to Pepin, Wi. every year to take part in Laura Ingalls Wilder Days. I know they would love to be related to them too!

Ian said...

My wife is also related to Laura Ingalls Wilder (and a big fan of hers). I was wanting to see how she (my wife and Laura!) is related to Senator Ingalls, so was grateful for your research!