Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Value of RootsTech 2012: PRICELESS

It was with great anticipation and expectation that my husband and I attended RootsTech 2012 in Salt Lake City last week. We have family there so were able to combine the Conference with a family visit and also save expenses. For that reason we didn't participate in any of the evening classes or programs. 

We registered last Fall for $89 each when registration first opened. Eighty-nine Dollars!!!!! This conference was the BEST VALUE in genealogy I've ever found! During this past week I've read a few blog posts that were critical of different aspects of the conference, but at $89 I have nothing but positive comments. My husband and I believe  it was worth the $89 just to hear the Keynote addresses alone! And my husband Larry visited with Tim Sullivan, Ancestry.com CEO, after his presentation. Priceless! 

My "priceless" experiences were numerous. These 3 pop into my head first: (1) shaking hands with Dennis Brimhall, the new CEO of FamilySearch. 
Dennis Brimhall, FamilySearch CEO
He and I recalled his visit to our town of Canon City, Colorado a few years ago, (2) meeting DearMyrtle at lunch one day and getting my picture taken with such a special lady!
DearMYRTLE and me!
(3) Being recognized by footnoteMaven as I was taking her picture at the close of the conference. That led to a very nice visit with her on the Exhibit Hall floor in company with the notable Randy Seaver!
Randy Seaver and footnoteMaven
I'm not going to tell about the classes, as quite a lot has been written by the GeneaBloggers already this week. I just want to share some of my photos and comment on them.
I was invited to tour the Exhibit Hall with the "Official Bloggers" prior to it opening the first day. Here Thomas McEntee is opening his big bag of Mardi Gras beads for the GeneaBloggers. Also pictured are Randy Seaver and Jill Ball. 
Official Bloggers 
Playground before the Exhibit Hall opening
 This presentation area was used constantly for short demonstrations by the vendors.

 All neat and clean before the Conference started.
Left to right: Arlene Eakle, Holly Hansen, James Tanner, Randy Seaver
My friends Candice Buchanan (left) and Glenn Toothman (right) at the Memory Medallions booth.
My husband Larry Jamison made friends with Janet, a member of the wonderful Housekeeping team. It's always nice to remember those whose hard work helped to make our visit so enjoyable. 
Elyse Doerflinger, our GeneaBlogger "Breath of fresh air"
I was finally able to meet in person Elaine Mayfield, with whom I've corresponded for several years. We're hoping to find that connection between her husband's and my husband's Mayfield ancestors.
We were so happy to bring Lureen and Ken Orchard with us on this trip to RootsTech. Lureen and Ken serve as the Directors of our Canon City, Colorado Family History Center.
In the white ball cap is my husband Larry Jamison waiting to share thoughts with Peter Drinkwater after his Fold3 presentation. 
We were among the multitudes waiting in line to purchase the Flip Pal portable scanner from Family Roots Publishing.
 The Booths and Buzbees at RootsMagic are always very eager to visit about their software.  
Jay Verkler and Thomas McEntee in conversation in the Media Booth.
Elyse Doerflinger at WikiTree
 Mr. GeneaBlogger, Mr Hi-Def Genealogy, Thomas McEntee
 Larry Jamison in conversation (???) with the wonderful and gracious DearMYRTLE
We're looking forward to another "Priceless" experience at RootsTech 2013 (March 21, 22, 23). 

6 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Thanks Becky for a wonderful report. I never get tired of reading all about it, and enjoying photos.

Carol said...

Great job on the photos Becky, and that one of Thomas and the suitcase of beads, PRICELESS! Wonder how much he had to pay to get those on the plane?

Thanks, enjoyed your take on RT 2012.

Nancy said...

Thank you for a this very gracious post about RootsTech. And a special thank you for the photographs and identifying the people in them. You know, I've always wondered about the person behind the footnoteMaven nom de plume....

James Tanner said...

Nice to finally meet you. Sorry we didn't have more time to chat. Thanks for the typical picture of me on my iPhone.

Cousin Russ said...

Becky,

It was great to finally meet you and Larry.

Great write up on RootsTech.

Perhaps, we'll meet again at RT2013.

Thank you,

Russ

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.