Thursday, October 2, 2014

Facebook Unites Cousins with Surprising Connections

Sometimes stories unfold so quickly I can barely keep up! This afternoon I stayed home from work as I'm developing a cold. After taking a nap I got onto Facebook and saw a friend request Gwenda Radcliffe, one of my son's cousins, made to me. She suggested that I become a Facebook friend of another one of her cousins named Jennifer. 

I was happy when Jennifer accepted my request quickly after I sent it. I reviewed her timeline to see who my "new friend" was. I saw that she lives in South Carolina, quite near the town where my husband's half-brother Dale lives. That was the first connection that caught my eye. Then I noticed she has a friend with the same surname as Dale. So I'm anxious to see if her friend knows my brother-in-law Dale. 

I also noticed that Jennifer "likes" some of the "Mormon" pages that I like and through our messaging I learned that she is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as I am. Second cool connection!

As we "chatted" I found that Jennifer is my son's fourth cousin, once removed. Jennifer's third great grandfather is my son's fourth great grandfather. Third cool connection! 

Gotta love Facebook when it's used for the good! Thank you, Gwenda, for bringing cousins together who have quite a bit in common, even though we've never met. I think as we get acquainted we're going to find that we have even more in common!

1 comment:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Yes FB is great for that! It has happened to me more than once on a page that is my GGrandparents hometown. Got to love it!