Thursday, April 11, 2024

Hidden in my Hometown Newspaper 1942

I'm grateful that my dad was a saver and that I had the privilege of cleaning out his house at the end of his life! I recently moved some of the items from his "archives" in my house and two copies of the Great Bend (Kansas) Daily Tribune from July, 1942 caught my eye. They are brittle and need to be handled with great care. It's my hope to send them to the Barton County (Kansas) Historical Society for permanent storage so others can enjoy their contents. 

Here's the reason Dad saved these copies. 
This photo from the July 9, 1942 edition of the Daily Tribune shows the men who were recently inducted into the Army. 
In this photo, my father is shown as being among the inductees. He's Ernest Margheim, 5th from left. It's interesting to note that this was printed in the July 9, 1942 edition. Exactly one year later, on July 9, 1943, Dad was home on Leave and married my mother, Ruby Flanders. This clipping is also from that edition of the Tribune: 

No comments: