Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lottie Jamison Coffey

I've shared this picture in the past...of my husband's great-grandparents Robert A. and Clarrissa J. (Meals) Jamison, their children and grandchildren as of about 1917. My father-in-law Lafayette Richard Jamison is the baby in the second row at right, being held by his mother Rhea (Haught) Jamison.
As seen on the steps in the above photo, this is my husband's grand-aunt, Lottie Jamison (Mrs. William Augustus) Coffey with her two oldest daughters, Helen and Betty. I don't know where her son Bill Jr. was when this picture was taken. Lottie was born in 1888 so was about 29 years old in this picture. She gave birth to another daughter Kathryn the following year, in 1918 and on October 26, 1923 Lottie gave birth to son Bruce Jamison Coffey. She suffered "Surgical Shock" following a surgical procedure and passed away in January, 1924. Her infant son Bruce passed away two months later, on March 19, 1924, after suffering from bronchial pneumonia.

I've thought so often about the tragedies this family endured and how that must have affected them in their young lives.

I recently 'found' the daughter of Lottie's son Bill Jr. and I wrote to her, asking if she had any family photos to share. TODAY I got these two beautiful photos by email.

This is Lottie with her husband William "Will" Augustus Coffey in 1908, shortly after their 1907 marriage in West Virginia.
Pictured in this beautiful 1911 photo are Lottie, her son Bill Jr., age 2 and her daughter Helen, born March 1911.

Thank you, Nancy, for sharing these treasured family photos with us today. They are Priceless.

6 comments:

GrannyPam said...

I especially like the one of Lottie and her two children; it is striking. How wonderful you were able to see them and have copies.

Terri said...

The photo of Lottie and her children is stunning! The way Lottie is gazing at her baby you can just see the love for her child in this photo. Thank you for sharing something so touching.

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

She's a lovely woman. Thank you for sharing your photos of her. My great-grandmother died young of "surgical shock" as well. It just looks so sad seeing it spelled out on a death certificate.

Jeanette Drake said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog. I am enjoying the beautiful family photos. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful photo of Lottie and her 2 children. Thank you for sharing.

Anita said...

Paging through your blog is like watching PBS. :)