Sunday, September 5, 2010

B.K. Jamison and the Philadelphia Clover Club

Jamison_Benton_Knott

Benton Knott Jamison (pictured above) is my husband’s first cousin, 4 times removed. B. K.’s grandparents John W. and Elizabeth (Shryock) Jamison are my husband Larry’s 4th great grandparents. B. K. was born 1837 in Saltsburg, Indiana, Pennsylvania and was a prominent banker in Philadelphia. As the result of my search on Google Books for anything about B. K. Jamison, I found this book:

Clover Club book

The Clover Club of Philadelphia was a “cosmopolitan social club”, which in 1897 had 34 charter members, one of whom was B. K. Jamison.  One of the most amusing bits of information about B. K. Jamison that I found in this book is the following story:

Jamison_BK Clover Club story

B. K. Jamison had quite an illustrious career, and from this story it appears he was also quite a sociable personality!

2 comments:

P. Jamison said...

B.K. was my grandfather's grandfather. Thanks for the information about the Clover Club. This is the first portrait I've seen of him.

Philip Jamison

Becky Thompson said...

Philip, I'm glad you found this post. I'd love to share more family info with you if you'll email me! becky.jamison5@gmail.com