Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Collaboration Adds the Details

Today I received an email from Ancestry.com telling me of a comment made on my husband's Ancestry.com tree. The comment made by Don Lynch said: This may be the Charles H. Sloan who was struck and killed by a car in Hollywood, California on October 29, 1924. 
When I read this comment, I went right to my RootsMagic database to see who Charles H. Sloan was. I saw that he had a sister Rebecca Roberts Sloan, born 1838 in Pennsylvania, who was married to Martin Francis Jamison, Larry's 1st cousin 4 times removed. Rebecca and Martin had a daughter named Luna Jamison (Mrs. Joseph) Clements. Martin and Larry share ancestors John W. Jamison (1765-1851) and his wife Elizabeth Shryock (1774-1835).
I wanted to learn more about Charles H. Sloan and the accident referred to in Don Lynch's comment. A Google search showed a link to a FindaGrave memorial that included this information about Mr. Sloan. 
Los Angeles Times - October 30, 1924:

HURTS IN CAR MISHAP FATAL TO C. H. SLOAN

Funeral Services Will be Conducted Friday by Masonic Lodge

Charles H. Sloan, 78 years of age, of 2797 West Pico street, died yesterday in Hollywood Hospital from injuries received the 6th inst., when he was run over by an automobile driven by Martin Sonora of 1321 Palmetto street, at Fifth and Spring streets. Funeral services will be conducted Friday under the direction of the Masonic order and interment will be in Rosedale Cemetery.

The elderly man had been a resident of Los Angeles six years and was a native of Philadelphia. He had a record of fifty years of service as a railroad conductor and was a Thirty-second-Degree Mason. He spent a year in France during the World War with the Y.M.C.A. contingent.

Surviving members of the family are two nieces, Mrs. Emma Perry, of 320 South Reno street, and Mrs. Luna Clements of Indiana, Pa.
 
Burial:
Angelus Rosedale Cemetery
Los Angeles
Los Angeles County
California, USA

How fortunate I am that Don Lynch saw the entry for Charles H. Sloan on my husband's tree after he had posted the memorial on FindAGrave, and then added the comment to Larry's tree so I was notified of this additional online information by Ancestry.com. Collaboration is wonderful and pays such great benefits!

2 comments:

Lori H said...

I love when something like that happens. Sometimes a nugget of information like that can open up a whole new branch of information for me. Congratulations!!

Jacqi Stevens said...

What a great reminder of the power of collaboration--not only with Ancestry.com, but with Find-A-Grave, which has such a helpful community of volunteer genealogy aficionados. Enjoyed this post, which I found via another blog, and which prompted me to follow you to keep up with your posts...sowing seed for possible future collaboration...