Sunday, August 26, 2012

Finding cousins in a cemetery

This headstone marks the grave of my dad's younger brother, Alfred George Margheim, who died at age 9 in 1933 from pneumonia. He's buried in the Hygiene Colorado cemetery. I haven't visited the cemetery so I was really happy to see that Linda Fate had posted this picture on FindaGrave.com. By doing a Google search I found that the Boulder Genealogical Society has indexed the Hygiene Cemetery. As I browsed the listing of burials, I looked for any other names that are familiar in my RootsMagic database. 
I found the name of Myron Ingalls and I have Ingalls cousins (Laura Ingalls Wilder is my 7th cousin twice removed). 
Further research yielded the connection of Myron Ingalls to the Ingalls families in my database. From the information I gathered, I was able to draw up this chart: 
It reveals that the Myron Ingalls who is buried in the same cemetery as my uncle is my 8th cousin 3 times removed. I love it when searches come together like this. I have not visited the Hygiene Cemetery and had no idea that any of my cousins were buried there. 
My dad and his parents lived in Colorado 1931-1933 and returned to Kansas after Alfred's death to live out their lives. 
Back row left to right: John and Molly Margheim
Front row left to right: Ernest and Alfred Margheim

2 comments:

GrannyPam said...

What a great picture of your dad, brother and parents!

I also love these connections we find, sometimes quite by accident.

GrannyPam said...

I love that picture of your dad, his brother and parents.

Isn't it fun to find unexpected connections, like the cemetery?