Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Making Sure my Son Knows Why I Bought This Book

Today I received a book in the mail that I ordered from Amazon last week. I love it when I get good mail like this! As much as I love having digital books to read on my ipad, I still love getting a new book, holding it, carrying it with me and reading it! The book I got today was "Hope Amid Hardship" by Linda S. Johnston. A few weeks ago I received an email from the author who notified me that she'd written this book that would be released August 6. She told me one of the people featured in the book was Julia Hardy Lovejoy. She had found a post on this blog that I'd done a year ago about Julia so she knew of my family connection and thought I'd be interested in reading the new book. She was right! 

At the time that I posted my original story about my connection to Julia I had prepared a pedigree chart that illustrated how I was connected to her. Sometimes those connections get pretty complicated, so I make my own charts that show me the connections. It's pictured here: 
Today I had a good idea....it happens once in awhile. I printed my post from March 2012, along with the chart and am going to keep those hard copies inside this book. Someday when my son goes through my possessions and starts discarding things, when he finds this book and sees the information I've added to it, he'll understand the special connection this book and the subject matter have to me.

I've purchased a few other books because ancestors or relatives were featured in them. My next project will be to add that "provenance" to those books so my son will know their significance in the future. I'm always looking ahead and trying to make things easier for him when he has to "dispose" of all my collections! 

No comments: