Thursday, June 22, 2023

Connecting my 1953 First Grade Songbook to my Family

    In my previous post from last year, I told of my discovery of a family connection to a historic residence in my son's place of residence in Vermont and the resulting connection to my grade school 4th-grade music book. 
    Last week while on vacation from my home in Idaho to my cousin Michele's home in Colorado Springs, I was presented with the actual 1st-grade music book (pictured at right) that belonged to my twin brother, Dennis Margheim, while we attended E. E. Morrison School in Great Bend, Kansas. 
    When I returned home from vacation, I dug out my grade school music books and found that I still had my own copy of the Grade 1 book. As I opened it, I read that all illustrations in the book were drawn by Lloyd J. Dotterer. 

    The name "Dotterer" sparked a memory from my previous genealogy research. I found the name in my RootsMagic database and had to go to Family Search to extend the line I'd researched to include this "Lloyd J. Dotterer". Of course, as is my usual practice, I looked deeper into the Dotterer line and found the connections that I've included on this chart. I'm Mary R ("Rebecca") Margheim on this chart.  

    Through my subscription to Newspapers.com, I found this information about Lloyd Dotterer, published 15 Nov 1945 in the "Public Opinion" paper in Chambersburg, PA.
Here are a few samples of the beautiful artwork Lloyd Dotterer provided for the Grade 1 edition of New Music Horizons, published by Silver Burdett Company in 1944. 

    My next blog post will share another amazing discovery I made while looking through my Morrison Grade School "New Music Horizon" music books! Watch for it this week.

No comments: