Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jackson and Mary Phelps Blood

They say money doesn't grow on trees, but we can find great treasures on trees--our Family Trees!
I recently got an email from a lady named Margaret who inquired about my relationship to Jackson Blood, whom she found on my family tree posted at Ancestry.com. The name wasn't familiar to me so before I answered her I had to look at my database to see who he was. I found that he was married to Mary "Polly" Phelps, whose brother Arva is my 3rd great grandfather. This makes Mary Phelps Blood my 3rd great grandaunt. So I'm not really related by
"blood" to Jackson Blood. (Just had to add that).
I replied to Margaret about my connection and she very graciously blessed me today with these photos of Jackson and Mary Phelps Blood, their gravestones and this photo of their house!!


Jackson Blood was born in 1795. In 1815 he came on foot to Yates and purchased a farm near the lake, where he remained until 1830. He then removed to a farm which he purchased on lot 2, just south from Lyndonville, where he remained till his death in 1875. His wife was Mary Phelps, a native of New Hampshire. Their daughter, Mrs. Ira Martin, resides on a part of the same place. C. Jackson Blood, a son and a prominent citizen of Yates, died in the town in 1888. Source: Landmarks of Orleans County, New York, by Isaac Smith; http://tinyurl.com/btz3da
JACKSON BLOOD (22 Jan 1793 - 2 Sep 1871) Newspaper: The Medina Tribune; Thurs., 7 Sep 1871Surnames: BLOOD, PHELPS

Another of the older citizens of Yates has gone. Mr. Jackson BLOOD died of cholera morbus, about two o'clock on Saturday last, after a brief illness of a little over two days. Mr. BLOOD was one of the Pioneers of this town, having moved and settled here in 1818. He was born in New Ipswich, N. H., on the 22d day of January, 1793, and was consequently in the 79 year of his age at his death.

Mr. BLOOD resided in Boston and Cambridge about the time of the war of 1812, and stood two different drafts for that war. He was married in 1814 to Miss Mary PHELPS, his now surviving widow. He made his first visit to what is now the town of Yates in 1817, having made the journey from N. H. and return on foot. The following year he moved his family, with an ox team, first to Batavia and thence to this town, the journey occupying twenty-one days. He made a public profession of religion and was baptised into the Yates Baptist Church on the 22d day of September, 1822, being the first person baptised into that church after its organization on the sixth day of June previous.

His funeral was attended to-day by a large concourse of friends and citizens from the Methodist house in this place. Rev. W. T. Potter, the Pastor of the Baptist Church officiating, assisted by Revs. Dr. Chamberlain and K.(?) E. Brownlee. The sermon was from the 17th Psalm, 15th verse. Yates, Sept. 4th W. T. P.
Posted by: Orleans County Genweb staff, 1 Nov 2006
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyorlean/obitb3.htm
Interment in Boxwood Cemetery - "B"
Town of Ridgeway, Orleans County, New York. Transcribed by: Richard and Shirley Nellist. Contributed by: Richard Nellist, Town of Ridgeway Historian. Formatted to htm by: Doug Murphy
Material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material
Jackson and Mary are both buried in Boxwood Cemetery, Ridgeway, Orleans, New York. Mary was born in 1794 and died September 17 1883.
I'm very grateful to Margaret for sharing these precious photos with me. I'm posting this information here on my blog because this was one of the reasons I started writing this blog. I realized it could be a good "repository" for me to keep track of emails, new contacts, and discoveries of new information about ancestors and other relatives. I can "tie things together" here until I have time to update my database and my family files. As I "publicize" my work and my findings, others may discover connections too! And we're all blessed.

10 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

What a treasure! I have also been the lucky recipient of pictures of ancestors from online contacts - people can be so generous, it's really humbling.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that Margaret shared these photos with you. I have a similar motivation behind my blog. If I drop enough names, I'm hoping someone contacts me.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

How wonderful that Margaret was willing to share with you! I don't recall ever going to Lyndonville but the county as whole is very pretty country and still very rural. I don't have the Phelps or Bloods you mention in my file but a large number of my family settled in Orleans County. (Wish I'd known that when I was living out that way!)

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

Becky,
You certainly hit the "lottery" of pictures. What a wonderful distant "relative" to share with you those photographs. Terrific story too. Thanks for sharing friend.

Cheryle Hoover Davis said...

This is so very interesting, Becky! I have the Blood family in my family tree, and one that was married to a Phelps woman!

Their names:

Elnathan Blood (b:1744) m: Deborah Phelps (b:1766)
They were from Groton, Middlesex, Massachusetts.

Elnathan's descendant, Arthur Otis Blood (b:1885) married my great-grandaunt Ada Belle Martin. They lived in Runnells, Iowa.

I'll have to do more research to find out how this Blood family ties in with yours!

Cheryle Hoover Davis said...

I found it! Jackson Blood is 'my' Arthur Otis Blood's 4th cousin, 3 times removed!

Don't ya just LOVE finding stuff like this!

Cheryle Hoover Davis said...

Your Mary Phelps (who married Jackson Blood) is the niece of my Deborah Phelps (who married Elnathan Blood).

Elnathan is Jackson's 3rd cousin, once removed.

Whew!Took a bit to figure this all out!

Cheryle Hoover Davis said...

I just blogged about this on my Graveyard Rabbit of the Runnells Iowa Area. See it here:

http://thegraveyardsoftherunnellsiowaarea.blogspot.com/2009/02/blood-and-phelps-families.html

Claudia said...

Wow, somedays you just his the Genealogy Lotto. My thanks to Margaret, what a wonderful gift to share with you.

http://claudiasgenealogyblog.blogspot.com/