Friday, March 21, 2014

Family Bible entries hold surprises

I'm not in the possession of my Margheim Family Bible, but my grandfather John Ludwig Margheim (1900-1978) had copies of the family pages within his parents' Bible. This image shows the title page from the Bible and points out that it is a German translation according to Dr. Martin Luther. My Margheim ancestors were strong members of the Lutheran Church. 
This is the page on which is recorded the vital information of my great-grandparents' marriage. Jacob Margheim married Marikatrin (Mary Katherine) Windir (Winter) in 1881 in Friedenfeld, Samara, Russia. The English translation from the Bible is shown below.
As I looked at the pages in this collection, I was surprised to read the Scripture quotation at the top of this page, seen above. It says "Remember the days of old, consider what the Lord has done for the ancestors". Deuteronomy 32:7. Since I've spent most of the last 15 years of my life studying my family's history, these words spoke to me in a personal way. I see that the Transcriber added the explanation that the German version does not agree with the English version and they have translated the German version in this case. The English version reads: "Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee."

Because of my German heritage, I think I'll go with the German version and I will remember the days of old and consider what the Lord has done for the ancestors. My pleasure!

No comments: