Saturday, December 30, 2023

This Book Spoke to Me Right Off the Shelf

Since I'm now retired, it seems I've picked up a new hobby of buying books at Deseret Industries in Nampa, Idaho. They range in price from $.75-$3.00! At this point in my life, the only subject matter I'm willing to spend my time pursuing is Religion and the many topics it encompasses.

I was drawn to this book for several reasons. It's in very good condition, was published in 1955, and was autographed by Helen and Franklin D. Richards on June 11, 1960 as a gift given to "The McCarreys". I immediately recognized the name "Franklin D. Richards" as a former Apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

When I got home I did a little research on this Franklin D. Richards, who I learned was the GRANDSON of the Apostle Richards. Without going into a lot of detail, I will show you the results of my quick research. One thing I've learned about myself during my years of doing genealogy research is that I'm very interested in, and amazed by, family connections.  So I worked up this chart showing how I'm connected to this Richards family. I'm the Mary R. Margheim at the bottom left. 
This chart shows that my cousin Robert Lund Judd was married to Louise Richards, the great-granddaughter of Franklin D. Richards and Jane Snyder.

I also learned that Franklin D. Richards' grandson by his wife Nancy Longstroth was LeGrand Richards, the well-known author of "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder". That was one of the first books I read after joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1994.

I feel blessed to have discovered this autographed book this week and blessed that my husband encourages me to buy books to which I'm drawn! As a side note, I might add that while I'm shopping for books, he walks across the parking lot to the Lowe's store and indulges his passions too!

No comments: