Sunday, August 4, 2024

I Found My Cousin Connection to a Favorite Author

I prepared this chart that shows me (Mary R Margheim) as a descendant of Steven Flanders and Sarah Blaisdell. You can see that Rosel James Hyde was also a descendant of Steven and Sarah. Rosel was married to Jane Driggs. Their photo is shared directly below their names on the chart. You can also see by looking at the descendants of Austin Cowles and Phebe Wilbur, that Sterling W. Sill is also a cousin of Rosel James Hyde. So Sterling Sill and I share Rosel Hyde as our cousin. 

You'll notice that I have Jane Driggs's name in red, and it appears at the top left again. This time it shows that Jane is a cousin of my husband, William Thompson, as they are both descendants of Urial Driggs and Hannah Ford.  

The chart at the bottom of this post shows the direct connection how Sterling Sill is my 7th cousin twice removed!

I only recently learned of Sterling W. Sill as I discovered a book he authored named "The Majesty of Books". It's pictured below. I'm a book lover and as I've aged, I've selected books by LDS authors as my primary reading material. As I've begun to read Sterling's "book about books", I realize I found the written word that stimulates and agrees with my philosophy on many topics. I love what he has to say and how he says it. 

My greatest wish now is that I'd have known about this book while my dad was alive. He was a "semantics" person and loved the study of "words". He became a member of the LDS Church late in life and would have LOVED reading Sterling Sill's book. He certainly would've seen the MAJESTY in it! And he'd have been very proud to learn of this great author and fellow Church authority! I'm blessed to have found it at the nearby thrift store Deseret Industries. I will have it read by Thursday, August 8 in celebration of what would have been my father's 103 birthday! But it's a Keeper and I'm sure I'll refer to it time and again. Such value for the $2.00 I spent to purchase it!



No comments: