Thursday, August 22, 2024

One of my Favorite Authors Links Me to More Cousins

In my most recent post, I shared my discovery of LDS author Sterling W. Sill and my newly discovered connection to him as my Cousin. On my latest visit to the "religious" book section at Deseret Industries in Nampa, Idaho, I discovered THREE more books by this wonderful author! I purchased them at $2.00 each! They are "The Glory of the Sun", "The Upward Reach", and "The Miracle of Personality". 

Before I put any new purchase in my shopping cart, I open it and leaf through the pages. I noticed in the book above that the former owner stamped his name on the first page. 
Since I live right across the Snake River from Ontario, Oregon, I was very curious to see what I could learn about this "Ross E. Butler". And boy! was in in for a surprise! The information I found showed me that he and I are distant cousins and that his wife is a distant cousin of my husband, William Thompson. I've illustrated this in the chart below. 

As I read further about Mr. Butler on his FamilySearch.org page, I learned that he joined with friend F. Nephi Grigg and his brother Golden Grigg to form the company that became Ore-Ida Foods, Inc. I was just blown away! Ore-Ida Foods is also in Ontario, Oregon, right across the river from me. 

I've often commented that "I'm easily amazed"! I'm happy that I'm the kind of person who would look inside this unknown-to-me book and discover the name of its former owner, then research that individual to learn more about who owned and surely read this book. 

Of course I couldn't stop with Ross Erin Butler. I had to see what I could learn about his friend and partner Francis Nephi Grigg. In the chart below, you can see that I'm the 9th cousin one generation removed from Nephi's wife Addie Crummet Grigg (pictured below). 

Now that I've made these interesting connections to fellow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and learned great things about them by reading the 'Memories' posted on their accounts at FamilySearch.org, I need to put my laptop down and read my new books!

No comments: