Friday, March 24, 2017

How might my cousins James Ripley Osgood Perkins and James Ripley Osgood be connected?

This week, Ancestry.com's "We're Related" app showed me how actor Anthony Perkins is related to me. Here's the Relationship Chart.

I noticed that Anthony's father was named James Ripley Osgood Perkins (pictured below). A search on Wikipedia informed me of his acting career when he was known as "Osgood Perkins". He was born in West Newton, Massachusetts 16 May 1892.

His name caught my attention because I knew that I had a distant cousin named James Ripley Osgood. I've written about him and my connection to him previously in these posts: (1) We had lunch with cousin James R. Osgood, (2) The Osgood Name Gets my Attention, and (3) The Osgoods Keep Coming Back to Me.
This chart shows how I'm related to James Ripley Osgood: 
Of course when I saw these names, I wondered if or why James Ripley Osgood Perkins was named after Boston, MA publisher James Ripley Osgood. For what other reason would he have been given such a name? 

I don't have that answer yet, but I have a clue: Mr. Perkins was born in 1892 in West Newton, Massachusetts, which is located very near Boston, MA. And James Ripley Osgood died in 1892 in Boston, MA. I'm going to search newspapers from that time and place (if I get a chance) to see if Mr. J. R. O. Perkins' father, Henry Phelps Perkins might have been personally acquainted with Mr. J. R. Osgood. I'm almost certain there must have been a personal connection. I'll write about my findings when I know more. 

No comments: